Sunday, March 23, 2008

And so it begins...


We moved into the apartment a few days ago. We've got a lovely view of Jerusalem and a portion of the West Bank. Living on a (small) mountain is kind of cool. I just wish we didn't have a rooster beneath our fifth floor window.

I'm writing this in a laundromat, as I wait for my clothes to be ready. I don't have an internet connection in my apartment yet, but I've got one here, right next to the dryers. Go figure.

Noam and I share our apartment with three other folks; David from Australia, Rebecca from Brazil, and Sharon from Florida. We each have our own bedroom, and we share a kitchen/living room, plus two bathrooms.

The roomates (flatmates?) are great so far. We all get along, share in cleaning duties, and we genuinely enjoy hanging out with one another. We all got to know each other over the course of the past month as we lived on a kibbutz.

We start our professional internships tommorow. I'll be working at a policy institute/think tank as a researcher.

We are heading to a Purim seudah tonight in the Old City of Jerusalem. That means we are attending a festive meal to commemorate Persian Jews being saved from slaughter, thanks to the heroics of a few folks, including Queen Esther, and her uncle Mordecai.

Purim is a really fun holiday during which people dress up in crazy outfits, give money to the poor, and exchange tasty treats with friends and family. One is also obligated to hear a retelling of the Purim story, read from a scroll which is known as a 'megillah'.

Purim has already been completed around the world, but in Jerusalem, it runs a little bit longer.

Video and pics are coming soon. Now that we have some laundromat internet, Noam and I will be putting some goodies online.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which direction does your room face? (Dome is southwest of Mt. Scopus, Dead Sea is east).

And Hebrew U does coed apartments? And who got the safe room?

Not having internet was great for people's social lives. You just hang out in the courtyard, chat with people, and surf on crappy, bogged down internet. I kinda missed it getting my internet before everyone else did.

3:25 am  
Blogger Avi said...

I kind of face south, but I'm in such a position that I can't quite see the dome because of the way the building faces.

Yep, it's co-ed. Guys and girls have their own toilet. Noam has the safe room.

I'm in the laundromat right now, next to the 'pub'. They're playing some crappy song from the early 90s.

I'm going to a conference tommorow which will feature Netenyahu, Livni, and Irwin Cotler! I've got to wear a suit, apparently. :o

10:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pub was just being finished as I was leaving Jerusalem. I'll have to go there sometime. If by some fluke I get to lead a Birthright trip, I'll bring my Hebrew U ID and check it out.

HA!!! I'm trying to picture Noam having the safe room... Kinda reminds of this episode of King of the Hill where they were on a plane ride, and Bobby was seated in the emergency exit row.

Walk around the courtyard. There's gotta be open wireless somewhere around there, not just the laundromat.

And I never even brought a suit to Israel...

6:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

___________________________________________________
<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
Copyright 2005-2011 - All Rights Reserved