Monday, February 27, 2006

Skunk!


Skunks like to eat salad

In the past, I've blabbed about how cool it would be if I had a skunk as a pet. It would have to have its stink-gland removed, but after that, I'd have the coolest critter at the end of a leash. We'd go for walks together, scare random passerby, and eat a lot of salad. Skunks like salad. My relationship with skunks has always been pleasant... but tonight a skunk did me wrong.

I was pumping out a Yiddish Cinema paper on my computer when I was forced to quickly vacate the room. A skunk had blasted out a huge stinker on the north side of my house, and now things are still smelling pretty raw. That little bugger!

Nah, I still love them though. They are adorable little creatures with stripes running down their backs. Some have spots instead. They have bushy tails and like to keep to themselves, but when you piss them off, they have the power to ruin your life. That's pretty cool.

Here are some interesting facts about skunks. Most were culled from VickiFox.com. One of them is from me:

- Skunks live for at least seven years in the wild. Eight to ten in captivity.

- Skunks are the chief carrier of rabies. Skunk spray is not known to carry rabies virus.

- Skunks are best known for their odorous defense. They are able to expel a fine spray of foul-smelling musk. The skunk's scent glands are mature at less than one month of age.

- Most species of skunk forewarn predators by stamping their front feet, raising their tail and walking stiff-legged. Spotted skunks will occasionally bluff by handstanding without spraying. If that fails, they will drop onto all fours and spray. The spray is aimed at the face and causes intense irritation, even temporary blindness, if it reaches the eyes.

- Most animals avoid skunks. However, a notable exception is the Great horned owl, which does not appear to be deterred by skunk spray while foraging at night.

- All skunks are largely carnivorous, with insects and small mammals as major prey, but they also eat grubs, birds' eggs and fruit seasonally.

- Skunks coexist with foxes, raccoons and coyotes, groups of skunks often using the same burrows as these species, but at different times of the year.

- Sophia got Avi a skunk doll last week since she knows Avi is a fan of these creatures. Avi appreciates the sentiment.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did I say, guys? NOT ON THE BLOG!!!
haha, just kidding, OHIO was amazing! see y'all soon!

6:10 pm  
Blogger Avi said...

Welcome back, punk.

6:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh noam you character...you are just jealous that I buy avi presents and not you!
Hey Avi...i love you!
p.s. take me to formal, punk! :)

1:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, that was pretty freaking random. Now I know why conservatives are always trying to burn down the internet...Those poor old right-wingers.

1:59 am  
Blogger Avi said...

My brain hurts

4:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so confused now.
i should also really be studying for my kabbalah midterm tomorrow. Anyone wanna write it for me?? Anyone??
And now I just waste my time on ShulofRock. I am way too lazy.

5:30 am  
Blogger Avi said...

No, I got Moe's political jivin', it's just that my brain hurts from lack of sleep and overabundance of school-poo (read 'school-work').

I'd write your kabbalah test for you, but it would probably wind up blank with just the words "What? The lord has a weener?!?" in big letters.

There is no such thing as wasting your time on Shul of Rock. This is the place where dreams happen. This is the place dreams are made of. Oh yes.

Oh, and Moe, I like how you declared something random, and then followed that with a random comment. Pure comedy genius! Very cool.

5:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

No offense, but quite a bit of that sounded extremely pointless.

Good luck on all the midterms, tests and papers. I hope you're all doing well.

Soph, I don't know why you're taking any kind of course in Kabbalah, or however you spell it. You've got to learn a lot more of the basics and advanced things before moving onto Kabbalah, or real Kaballah at least. Otherwise, what you end up with is a perverse view of the way things are supposed to be interpretted.

I'll let you know more about what I mean when I have more time. If you like that is. Next time we speak I guess.

Ciao for now everybody!

2:19 pm  
Blogger Avi said...

FYI: There IS a concept of a godly phallus in kabbalistic teachings. I did not make that up!

Just sayin'.

4:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

of course this stuff is pointless snoops. Thats the fun of writing silly comments down to graffiti avi's blog. That's the joys of blogging. heheh..that sounded dirty.

And the stuff that you said about kabbalah...well, I decided to take a university course on beginning concepts and the history of kabbalah. Its actually really interesting. And I see no problem in taking a very basic basic course. Its not like we are interpretting the Zohar and reading it...I don't even think we've mentioned one single quote from it. Anyhoo...Avi is right. Its called "yesod". Its one of the sefirot. Man, I hope I did well on that midterm....

p.s. you make me happy. Sooo excited for formal. you can't back down now. love you!

10:25 pm  
Blogger Avi said...

I never back down, baby. I'm a Taurus. We are a stubborn bunch.

11:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Moe's a TAURUS too! eh,moe? ah? ah? ah? BOO YA!

3:57 am  
Blogger Avi said...

Oh, man, we miss you so much too! So much.
Sorry to hear that you got stuck with being a loader. Sounds kind of cool though.
When I shake myself out of my stupid dreamworld, I'll call you up.
It looks like you are going to see the Moe in the late summer/fall. That'll be awesome, eh?
Oh, my mom just told me to send you her regards. She misses you, just like everyone else in this town.
Ahhh, the Taurus joke...

5:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joey!! I miss you! I'm glad there are hot instructors though..that should call for good times since you are a chauvanistic male pig...(i love you!) I mean maybe they are really smart, or have really good personalities. did you ever think about that?.....I guess not. Since you are male.

Anyways, miss you tons..and keep checking in with us so we know you are alive and well.

6:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

___________________________________________________
<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
Copyright 2005-2011 - All Rights Reserved