Saturday, December 12, 2009

That's a First


Last night was really interesting. I was staying in the Old City in Jerusalem for Shabbat (and the first night of Chanukah). After a delicious dinner with a lovely family, I was ready to head to bed so I could be up bright and early to daven (pray) at the Kotel (Western Wall). I had befriended a big burly 45-year old Puerto Rican Jew that night. He had become religious a few years back, and now lives in the Old City working at a Jewish hostel. He had amazing stories to tell as a former sailor in the US Merchant Marines, which he shared with me in between spitting chewing tobacco all over the place and telling me to join the IDF. "Even if your job is to pick up garbage, you should join!"

On the way to my freezing cold bed, my Puerto Rican pal stopped me and asked "Want to get some beer with me?", and being the gentleman that I am, I could not let him drink alone. I figured he must have a fridge stashed somewhere with a few beers in it.

"Sure. Where are we headed?"

"We're going to a bar. Come with me" the former sailor answered.

I was quite perplexed. It was Shabbat (the Sabbath), so we couldn't get beer anywhere for two excellent reasons. 1) It is forbidden to carry/use money on Shabbat. and 2.) No bars in the area would be open on a Friday night.
It turns out that reasons 1 and 2 would not be a problem.

"It's no problem" my beer thirsty buddy replied. "I know an Arab guy who runs a bar here, and he lets me pay him after Shabbat".

So that's how I wound up hanging out in an Arab bar on a Friday night with a sailor, a bunch of Swedes, and some Israeli Arabs. I'm guessing they were Christian - otherwise the whole alcohol thing could be a problem for them.

We walked into this Old City watering hole, and everyone stopped and looked us over - but only for a split second. Sailor man's tzizit (fringed Jewish garment) were hanging out of his winter coat, and our kippahs (skull caps) were sitting on our heads. After a collective shrug, it was business as usual. Saying hi to a few of his pals, my new friend ordered up two Heinekens, and the folks at the bar said 'Cheers' as they handed us our bottles. "Cheers!" we replied. After grabbing a seat in a dim alley outside, we raised our glasses and said "L'Chaim" and downed the cold brew.

Then the owner showed up. After a quick introduction and handshake, he went inside his establishment. "He hates Jews" my beer-mate informed me.

"Really? How do you know?" I asked, clearly surprised. "He seemed like a nice guy."

"I've been around, my friend. I'm almost double your age. I know these things. I'm not blind."

And then we had a second round, had the requisite conversation about life, the cosmos, and politics, and my amigo informed me that the beers were his Chanukah gift to me.

Gracias Amigo.

Afterword:

Some Halacha, according to Rabbi Haber at TorahLab:

With certain conditions it is permissible to buy Shabbos food on credit from a store on Shabbos itself:
a) The food is for Shabbos
b) The words buy or sell are not used
c)One may not say “I’ll pay you after Shabbos”, rather he must say “we will make arrangements after Shabbos”
d) One may not order by weight or price

3 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca Sophia said...

What a great story!!!

I miss you, sweety!


Lots of love, kisses and marshmellows!

4:16 pm  
Blogger Avi said...

I miss you too! Thanks for reading!

Happy Chanukah!

9:57 pm  
Blogger Morah Rachel said...

call me the next time you're in j-town! miss ya!

9:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

___________________________________________________
<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
Copyright 2005-2011 - All Rights Reserved