Friday, July 01, 2005

Look to the future


The fact that our world is falling apart has become more apparent than ever in recent weeks as headlines choose to favour Tom Cruise's descent into madness over the real issues of the day (i.e: child slavery, nuclear threats, global warming). When we come close to confronting a serious issue, such as poverty in the developing world, we feel a need to gloss it over with celebrity and performance, such as the spectacle that has become Live 8. Why don't people just care? Because the general human population is ignorant at best, and heartless at worst.

I'm not trying to say that Live 8 is a bad idea. If it helps the current situation, that would be utterly wonderful. Unfortunately, once the final act performs their final song, and the lights begin to dim, the majority of the audience will return to their current disassociation with the starving masses in Africa, and the bands will do the same as they sneak back to their respective studios with the hopes of cranking out a new hit single. It's just a tad disconcerting, don't you think?

I'm not trying to moralize and present myself as an angelic and tireless crusader of the oppressed. I could be doing a lot more, and chances are that the same can be said for you. But if we don't, does that mean that we choose not to? If we claim it is a matter of laziness, then why do we find reserves of energy for our passions, but not for this? The likely answer is that we see benefit from helping ourselves, but we don't see the benefit in aiding others. There is great benefit in helping others, but the current crop of humans is not generally accustomed to looking so far ahead. That's why global warming and nuclear warfare will kill us. We don't choose to look that far into the future. We are too busy enjoying our present.









5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So should we take it that you're also going to be making some big changes in the way you live your life too? Not that I'm calling you a hypocrite, I'm just asking what, if anything you'll be changing personally.

On another note, you should really check out some music by Bad Religion. Most of the stuff they cover in their music has to do with politics and humanity in general. You could also check out one of a few essays that Greg Graffin, their lead singer, has written. Specifically, I would suggest checking out this one "A Punk Manifesto. http://www.badreligion.com/news/essays.php?id=5

Enjoy

2:40 am  
Blogger Avi said...

Well, I was very careful with my wording in order to avoid even seeing the word 'hypocrite' in the comment box (not that you called me one). I said "I could be doing a lot more, and chances are that the same can be said for you", which is true. I've decided to try out that ol' saying "Think globally, act locally", and I plan to start something up in my community by getting more involved w/ the folks at Tzedek Hillel. I also look forward to doing some sandwich-making for the homeless this year. I did it once last year, and I really enjoyed it. If I just shape my schedule around it, I'll be able to do it more regularly, and help feed people in the process.

I look forward to checking out the link you provided. I'll post my opinion on it either in here or on the mainpage once I've read it.

3:02 am  
Blogger Avi said...

I think I understand why you recommended that article. It deals with misonceptions and followers - andin effect, what many call 'posers' - those folks that wear yellow wristbands to be cool, not because they care about cancer research.

Something that stood out as I was reading was the fact that Graffin states that concerning the public, "They assume that violence is a key ingredient in punk music, and this assumption is easily perpetuated because it is easy to market violence and news items about violence always get column space." This 'violence' angle is not very unique. Metal and rap suffer under the same stigma.

I thought it was really interesting that he stated "Punk stands for a desire to walk the line in between (these) two extremes with masterful precision. Punks want to express their own unique nature, while at the same time want to embrace the communal aspects of their cookie-cutter upbringing." That's a lot like modern orthodox Jews - walking that careful line, bridging two different worlds. I know I'm getting offtrack here, but that really captured my attention.

While Graffin's exploration of the compulsion to conform does not break any new ground, and is in effect, just a re-hash of what he likely learned in his high school social science courses, I am impressed by his coherent presentation of fact and opinion and look forward to reading more of his work. While it is not overly relevant to the original blog post I published, it remains relevant to everyday life. What more can one ask for?

10:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did realize that the essay didn't fully have to do with the topic and only had some points that fit in, but it was those points that I wanted to express.

Also, about that whole wearing the armbands thing, those things are starting to get on my nerves. It's gotten to the point where, pretty much, everyone is wearing them. And wearing them without actually supporting anything is even worse than having a bunch lining your arm that are actually in support of something. It's great to support something, but some people who wear them don't even care about the cause.

There are kids who run around trying to find the Gush Katif, Livestrong, One, etc. bracelets, not because they are supporting the causes, but because they get to put colourful bands around their arms, or just because everyone's doing it.

For those who are actually in support of those charities, good for you. There's nothing wrong with showing your support for the causes. But please, don't cover your arms in these things. Maybe you could have them on a swapping routine, or keep it to a one band per arm limit each day.

8:30 pm  
Blogger Avi said...

Yeah, I agree, the rubber bracelet thing has really taken off as a fad. I was planning on writing a post about it. Actually, I think I will...

9:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

___________________________________________________
<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
Copyright 2005-2011 - All Rights Reserved