Monday, June 19, 2006

Anger, sadness, sweat, and burns



I’d like to say that the best part of my day today was when I burned my hand on an iron – because I actually felt something – but I did see some wonderful people I know, if only for an hour, and that was cool.

The rest of my day blew hot monkey chunks.

It kicked off with me dragging my sorry ass to the boss’ house to pick up an assignment. After a humid bus ride home, I hopped on my bike and went to a local condo to do some work. No-one opened their doors to me, so I worked hard for two hours, and made ZERO dollars.

I then cut out early to make an appearance at an engagement party. (Burned my hand first.) I schmoozed for a bit, ate some grub, and enjoyed some music. That was nice.

Then I rushed back home in a sweaty tizzy, hoping on doing two more hours of mind-numbing slag. Except this time, the security guard would not let me in. “You need to speak to the manager tomorrow”, he said.

“But I need to do this today”, I replied.

“The government can wait another day, can they not?” the guard shot back.

“But I can’t” I remarked, already slinking off. There was no convincing him.

Now I am sitting at home, angry and very sweaty. I spent a whole day rushing around, knocking on doors, and wasting the potential that exists within my being.

When I call my boss tomorrow to give my latest report, I intend to quit. I am allowing myself the night to think it over. I hope I get some sleep too.

I am currently perusing volunteer opportunities in the city. Why do a thankless job for little pay when I could be contributing to people’s lives in a meaningful way?

Just something to think about. For me, anyhow.

2 Comments:

Blogger tamwinegust said...

If you hate it that much, I say, to heck with the government getting accurtae reports on how many people are in the country. I mean, they round it to the closest millionth anyway, right? If yo're more than halfway through it, I say stick with it, do it half-assed and do some volunteer work on the side. Or better yet, apply for a bunch of jobs (starbucks is always looking :) ) have one in your pocket and THEN quit. That way, you can be making money right up until the point when you take your census forms and angry say, "Mr. Boss, you can take these forms and fill 'em!" then throw them in his face and strom out of the office, the "Chariot's of Fire" theme following you as you exit the building to freedom and a potentially more fulfilling and better paying job.



or you could just quit, you know. It's up to you.

6:20 am  
Blogger Avi said...

Doing anything to "Chariots of Fire" is always fun (I'm looking at you Moe and Noam).

Thanks for the advice. I have been continuing the ol' job search, but I think I may just dedicate my time to crankin' out a second draft of the ol' screenplay. I find that dreamy optimism trumps crappy paying jobs in the happiness department.

I read in the paper about the Red Cross volunteers handing out water bottles to the homeless. That sounds really great to me.

I don't have a summer job because I need the money. The only reason I wanted one was so I could feel accomplished over the summer while also knowing that I am capable of being a member of the workforce. I just want to earn my keep - and get a sense of...I dunno, financial self determination. Fiscal responsibility? Something like that.

I'm going to base my decision to stick with this job based on my converation with my boss tommorow.

I promise that my whiny posts (and behaviour) will disappear either when I quit, or on July 7th, when the job is complete. Three weeks to go. Maybe I should stick it out...

7:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

___________________________________________________
<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
Copyright 2005-2011 - All Rights Reserved