Thursday, July 20, 2006

Comics for your Girlfriend

IGN posted a great article last month. Here is a brief excerpt:

"For a male comic-book fan, there's nothing more aggravating than dating a girl who can't respect comics. While there are plenty of women who read comics, more often than not, guys end up dating gals not interested in their "hobby." You don't want to give up one love (beautiful comic books) for another..."

The article goes on to list 'Blankets' as the number one choice. I ordered that book on Amazon.ca a few days ago (along with Watchmen) and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Anyhoo - if any of you male comic fans have an openminded girlfriend that is willing to pick up some visual literature, tell her to look at this exciting list of contemporary graphic lit. It lists the fine points of each book, and why an intelligent, well-heeled female would like it. For 'Blankets' it reads:

Blankets doesn't feature a single superhero, action sequence or costume. It is a story about life and romance. Based on author Craig Thompson's own past, this graphic novel shows a young boy learning about the world. The story follows him to adulthood. Like all stories, our character does not have an easy life, encountering many wicked people and situations. The greatest thing Blankets manages to do is feel genuine. Nothing seems stretched or exaggerated. No doubt we have all experienced some portion of Thompson's tale, making it truly memorable and touching.

Read the rest of the article here.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok. ok. I get it. This article is directed at me. At least you didn't identify me in the posting. Since you have ordered the comic, I will be delighted to read it as I not only respect comics but take an interest in your love for the "graphic novel". See...I'm openminded. Plus, I'm intelligent and well-heeled. :)
Are you really that aggravated with me?

12:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adena, try addressing your question through the appropriate channels. It has a higher chance of being answered.

This is a pretty cool concept for a post. Though some female comic book readers may get offended by it, the more knowledgable ones with understand that it doesn't pertain to them at all, since they already read them.

And then there's Soph. Ah Soph, hehe. Shouldn't worry so much about it. You know he loves you anyway.

1:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... Although I do believe that one of the ways to build a successful relationship is to begin to embrace your partner's interests, I do not advocate letting the interests or disinterests of one partner bother the other so much that he or she feels a need to press the other into completely sharing the hobby.

As for Dr Love's newest question, I do not have a PHD in Loveology, but I do believe that guys tease to make themselves feel better. I would say that teasing others can be a sign of low-self esteem, otherwise, they are just being jerks.

2:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's cute Soph - but I'm not directing this at you. I've blogged about comics in the past, and the article I excerpted was more about showing off a cool list of books for people who would otherwise never read them.

You may find it hard to believe, but this blog is about to hit 11, 000 page-loads. I have a lot of readers who don't bother posting comments. This article is for anyone who is interested.

I accept that you are not a fan of graphic lit.

Thanks for the misguided criticism, Noam.

Also, sharing a list of ten interesting books does not necessitate pressing others into sharing a hobby.

4:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I thought this blog pertained to me, or you wanting me to take an interest in your hobbies....indeed it is directed towards the other people who read your blog. i never suggested it was not directed at other people, nor did I question the amount of readers who read your blog.
ah well. my mistake.

5:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joey, let's not get into the discussion of bellybuttons again. We all know that either Noam's lack of a bellybutton or my bellybutton are more interesting than yours.

7:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

___________________________________________________
<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
Copyright 2005-2011 - All Rights Reserved