Friday, September 16, 2005

My Big Muslim Mix-up



(Dr. Love is coming soon!)

Earlier this morning, I had my first Near & Middle Eastern Civilizations class. NMC256. That's code for 'Modern Israeli Poetry and Prose'. My computer printout stated that the lecture was to be held in room #215 at Bancroft Hall. I located the room and took a seat.

As attendance was read by the instructor, I began to notice that there weren't any Jewish names. Just Mohammeds, Hassans, and Achmeds. I began to look around. Three girls sat in the back of the class, wearing hijabs. "Alright," I thought "Maybe there are a lot of Muslims interested in Israeli literature." The names continued and eventually came to a halt. My name had not been read.

"Excuse me. Professor?" I called out, determined to clarify my co-ordinates. "Is this NMC256? Modern Israeli Poetry and Prose?"

"No! This is NMC387H! The Islamic Mystical Tradition!" As I sat there wearing my kippah (yarmulke), I listened as all the students laughed at me. I grabbed my bag and sprinted for the door. I soon found the class I was looking for, and it is now currently one of my favourites. How I got there is one helluva story on it's own. In hindsight, my misadventure was quite funny, but at the time? Not so much.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crazy stuff mano,

Sorry to hear that you literally got laughed out of a class. Hope things will continue better through the rest of the year.

I'm having a great time here. We go on Tiyulim (trips), do Chessed (pronounced Chess-ed for you non-Hebrew speakers, also remember that the sound for the CH is different too) and we do a lot of learning.

I'll be updating my journal pretty soon, hoping for within a few minutes from now once an Ad-aware scan stops. I think you'll find it rather interesting, although there won't be pictures this time. Might add them later though.

That's all for now.
Keep up the good work.

Snoopy

7:39 pm  
Blogger Avi said...

Sounds like your days are reall well-rounded. For all of you who don't know what chessed is, it means, acts of kindness. Snoopy is volunteering his time to help people in need. What a mensch!

3:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

___________________________________________________
<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
Copyright 2005-2011 - All Rights Reserved