Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Mashed up and dropped out


Hi folks. I just heard a rather impressive mash-up of Dashboard Confessional mixed with Brand New. Want to hear it too? Get the mp3 here.

In other riveting news, I attended my first summer class lecture today. It was a mind-numbing three hours of poetic theory. Yes, you read that correctly. Three hours talking about how poems work. We examined iambic functions in contrast to the trochaic and dactylic, memorizing the eight different meter structures, along with the historical implications. I could not recegonize the pentameter with 100% accuracy, but I was still able to enjoy the poems themselves.

I blew $131 on books. I lucked out by grabbing Shakespeare's sonnets from a used book store for $5. The $76 Norton Anthology is a big ol' doorstopper.

After muddling through tonight's readings (103 pages of theory), I realized that there is no way in hell that I am taking this course. I hope to drop out of it tonight, get my tuition refunded, and then I'll take those stupid books back. I'll be stuck with the Shakespeare though.

I've come to the conclusion that I am a man of literature, not poetry. Some would argue that there is no difference between the two. (Well, those people are dead wrong.) Poetry is (sometimes) fun to read, and it is even more fun to write. I approach with glee the poems of Eurpides, Shakespeare, Chaucer, and Leonard Cohen. I just don't want to memorize the nature of their verse structure.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was under the impression that you had to take the course. What are you going to do instead?

9:14 am  
Blogger Avi said...

I have the option of doing a MUCH BETTER course instead: Major British Writers. I'll either do it this year, or next summer (which will delay my graduation). It was not offered this summer.

It is a second-year course which will touch upon Chaucer, Shakespeare, etc. Since I have already done second and third-year courses that specialize in those authors (and time periods), it shouldn't be too challenging (I hope).

6:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

___________________________________________________
<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
Copyright 2005-2011 - All Rights Reserved