Monday, May 01, 2006

Photos: Paradise Comic Con

IMG_8755
Even clowns like comic books

Comic fandom gathered in Toronto this weekend for a three day festival that celebrated the literary visual medium and the culture surrounding it. I attended the show today with my sister Debra(, an ardent admirer of Supergirl).

It was a day of opportunity. I got to shoot questions to my fellow Canadian, Diana Schutz, a top editor at Dark Horse Comics (third biggest comic publisher in North America). She was kind enough to offer advice concerning the long road to becoming a comic book editor, my dream job.

I got to hear writers such as Greg Rucka (Wonder Woman) and Gail Simone (Superman) discuss their craft. There were the requisite scantily clad costumed women and the burly, middle-aged ponytail wearing dudes, but the majority of the population were males in their mid-20s to mid-30s, looking to score some shiny new autographs.

Industry legend George Perez (Crisis on Infinite Earths) was on hand, signing on behalf of ACTOR. After shaking George down for his signature, I snapped up ink from Rucka and Adrian Alphona (The Runaways).

It was a good day to learn, buy, read, and talk. Plus there were freebies.

The highlight of the day? Hearing Diana Schutz discuss the time she had to call up Frank Miller (Sin City) and inform him that a hand in some of his art was drawn a little too big. The lady has guts.

IMG_8757
snikt snikt - "Whatcha looking at, Bub?"

IMG_8756
The convention floor. Where's Waldo?


Debra poses with Hawkgirl. (PHOTO REMOVED because it embarrassed Debra too much.)

IMG_8751
That's a lot of reading.

IMG_8750
If you know who these characters are, let me know.

IMG_8752
This man should be more happy. He's surrounded by comics!


IMG_8749
1, 000, 000 square feet of comics

IMG_8753
I didn't take any shots of industry people because I didn't want to annoy them. I bugged this sculptor instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

___________________________________________________
<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
Copyright 2005-2011 - All Rights Reserved