Friday, April 28, 2006

Movie Watch: Art School Confidential



The upcoming film Art School Confidential was written and directed by the same team that brought the world the cult-classic Ghost World. Daniel Clowes, the writer of both films (and the writer/artist of the comics they are based on) was even nominated for an Oscar for the Ghost World screenplay. His newest creation is already picking up a lot of good buzz, and it will be opening in select theatres on May 5th.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Clowes when he visited the Bloor Cinema for an autograph signing a few years ago. He was affable and generous with his time, taking a few minutes to speak to each of his fans as he signed their swag and thanked them for coming out. It was the last image you would ever mentally conjure when anticipating an encounter with an Oscar-nominee. The man has no ego.

A still from Art School Confidential. Yes, that's the sailboat guy from Mallrats on the right (Ethan Suplee).

Want to read a great interview with Daniel Clowes regarding the new film, and the writing process? Click here.

Want to go to the official site of the film? Click here.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude,

I saw the trailer for the movie. It looks to me sort of like something very different than what I assumed Ghost World is like.

Looks pretty funny though. Did you get a ticket to the Jewish Film Festival?

12:38 am  
Blogger Avi said...

I think you'd enjoy Ghost World.

No, I didn't get any tix for the JFF, but there is always the possibility of free rush seats for students...

You should take a trip to the Ma'aleh Film School while you are in Jerusalem. They sometimes have screenings, plus you get to meet the filmmakers.

Plus, they might make you an extra in a film. It's fun!

4:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check with Abramson about it.

He sent me an email about getting tickets, so I don't see why you can't get one.

10:52 pm  
Blogger Avi said...

No, I mean I didn't bother getting tickets - it's not like they were sold out. Only movies with a lot of hype sell out at the TJFF, others have plenty of seats.
I'm thinking I may concentrate on the programming at the Hot Docs festival instead. There's some really great stuff out there.
Seen any films recently? I mean other then the shlock on this site.

1:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry man,

I don't exactly have the time right now. Learning's all day and when I do have free time, the band's generally practicing.

Prepping to record is no small thing after all. We're also constantly working on new songs.

So it's a pretty packed schedule. Although I have seen some movies I hadn't seen yet, like Behind Enemy Lines, Three Kings and Narnia, to name some.

Still haven't gotten to see Big Fish yet. That's one high on my list to see.

12:44 pm  
Blogger Avi said...

You should document your band's rehearsals with photos and text. It would make some great reading!

Yeah, Big Fish is definitely worth watching. Tim Burton's film style meshes well with John August's script. It's an involving experience.

6:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

___________________________________________________
<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
Copyright 2005-2011 - All Rights Reserved