Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Y: The Last Man

The Eisner Awards were distributed recently. It is the comic book industry's Oscar equivalent. As usual, the comic series Y: The Last Man was recognized for its outstanding writing.
The monthly series tells the story of Yorick Brown, an American English Major and amateur magician who discovers that one day, all males on Earth have died – except for him and his poet monkey. Now he has to figure out why he is still alive, and how to keep it that way. The US government is after him, hoping to use Yorick to aid cloning efforts. The Israeli government is on the hunt as well, not to mention the Russians, some hired killers, and a group of man hating terrorists known as 'Amazons'. Salon has called it "compelling", while Entertainment Weekly labels it "A seriously funny, nuanced fable". I call it "one hell of a great read". I recommend it to anyone, whether you are a comic fan or not. It is both easily accessible and highly intelligent. It makes great reading and is combined with amazing art to match. How can you go wrong? A movie adaptation is already in the works, but don’t wait for a boiled over re-hash of A+ literature – get your hands on Y today.


Y_-_The_Last_Man_04_p14
Linkage:
Read the first issue for free!
The Official site
Brian K. Vaughan's site


The content promised at the bottom of the previous post is coming up soon. Patience, my babies. Patience.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I can't believe you forgot to mention one of the most important descriptors for Y. Addictive! Man oh man! I can't get enough of the book. More, more, more!

6:41 am  
Blogger Avi said...

Ladies and gentlemen, Snoopy here is an example of a 'Y addict'. He needs his fix on a monthly basis, otherwise he'll snap. I'm the same way. In fact, everyone who reads the book is like this. It's highly addictive - that's because it is an amazing monthly reading experience coupled with a constant cliffhanger ending leaving you pining for more. Every damn month.

8:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you boys and your comics...(thats all I really want to say)

6:11 am  
Blogger Avi said...

Actually Soph, from what I've heard, the audience for this comic is split pretty much 50/50 between 'boys' and the ladies.
P.S. - Monopoly tournament this Sunday at my boy Nathan's place! Who's up for it? Snoopy? Soph? Mystery person from Sudbury? Brad? Jenn? Anyone?

8:08 am  
Blogger Avi said...

Hey Snoop, I found this in a recent interview with Brian K. Vaughn. I think it's relevant:

AVC: Does your writing read better in trade-paperback form, or month to month?

BKV: I don't know. I sort of read or experience it month to month, and that's what I love. I know a lot of guys—there's this debate about "Are you writing for the trade or not?" But I really don't. I love serialized fiction. I love especially Y, where Yorick is sort of aging in real time. We're entering year three, and Yorick is three years older than he was at the beginning. I like that experience of visiting the characters, sort of peeking in at them once a month. Hopefully, it reads well in trades, because I think that's where most people discover my work. But I like the cliffhangers. I like punishing people and being mean and ending on the best cliffhanger possible.

(What a meanie, eh?)

8:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe,

Hey, it's a great way to write, and you know it. I like the cliffhanger endings, the quick action, the pages that I have to read through really quickly because of the sense of speed in the way they're written and drawn. All parts of what make the comic so addictive.

10:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

___________________________________________________
<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
Copyright 2005-2011 - All Rights Reserved