Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I finally found a job!


Avi is flying high (A Joey Lightstone photograph)

Hi kids. Remember when I was looking super-hard for a summer job, and I was so down on my luck that I even made a dismal mini-documentary about it?

That's a rhetorical question - you don't have to answer.

Anyhoo, I now have one job, with interviews for two other ones! What's my secret? I applied to a zillion million gajillion jobs! Big jobs, little jobs, and even odd jobs. No job was too big or too small. I was up for (almost) anything. Here's a quick chronicling of where I'm at:

The Job I Have

I am now under the employ of Her Royal Majesty's Dominion of Canada. Just like James Bond, I look good in a tux, and I work for the Queen. I am an enumerator for Statistics Canada. I passed a written test and a background check, and I have taken an oath/affirmation of secrecy. My (paid) training is to begin next week. I'll mainly be running around, encouraging people to complete the 2006 census.

How did you find the job?

I saw an ad in the back of the newspaper, and I applied.

The Upcoming Interviews I Have

Camp Robin Hood
I applied to Camp Robin Hood last night, and I got a call from the director today, asking if I would like to set a time for an interview. I'm curious to see how much they offer me. I could theoretically do this job after I complete my Statistics Canada job, as the two don't really conflict with each other, schedule-wise.

How did you find this job?

I saw an ad on the Canadian Job Bank database.

Jews for Judaism
I applied to Js for J last week, and I received a call today, asking for an interview. The job title? Program Resource Coordinator.

How did you find this job?

There was an ad in last week's Canadian Jewish News.

Lessons Learned:
Never give up! There are a ton of jobs out there, and the only way to nab one is to cast a wide net and see what you pull in.
Use all the resources available to you. That includes internet, newspapers, networking, and your crazy uncle Louie.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! What's the pay for the Stats job?

5:08 am  
Blogger Avi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pay varies depending on how many census forms I help people fill out. All in all, it comes out to well above minimum wage, but nothing overly spectacular.
Is that too vague?

What are your plans for the summer, Sarah?

8:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderland, wonderland, and more wonderland :D and *MAYBE* a family vacation

4:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds just like mine! Except without the Wonderland.

6:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

___________________________________________________
<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
Copyright 2005-2011 - All Rights Reserved