Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Yeshiva Life - The First Weeks: Snoopy in Israel


Regular Shul of Rock reader Snoopy (aka Eli) is checking in with his latest post from Israel. He has encountered G.I. Joey (aka Joey) in his journey! It's a small world after all:

And so, I continue my adventures in Israel.

I last left off writing from Haifa, sitting in my cousin's father-in-law's apartment. I should start off by saying that my attempt at hanging out with Joey was successful, though not quite as successful as I would have liked it to be. You see, when you meet up with a friend in extremely hot summer weather and you're wearing a sweatshirt, you know that's never a good sign.

Yes, I was sick. Thankfully, it was just the tail end of basic fever symptoms. I was well enough to hang out in the apartment, but that was about it. But the best news from it was that I personally got to debut Good Memories 2 for him (A music video featuring many Shul of Rock readers and staff - Avi). I swear, I nearly saw a tear come to his eyes. Or maybe I actually did, it was a little hard to tell.

That Tuesday also began my life in Yeshiva, as of nightfall. That entire day basically consisted of driving from Haifa to Jerusalem, making various business meetings along the way, concluding with a dinner for the entire Yeshiva at a restaurant.

The next day we were up early and out to a Tiyul (trip, pronounced tee-yule) to the City of David (Ir David) canals. An entire trip based around the history of a water canal might not seem all that interesting at first, but once you listen to the speeches while seeing the current state of an archeological dig, and then go on a 20-40 minute freezing cold water walk in an underground in pitch black (including very narrow passageways), you'll understand why I was having the time of my life. I shot some pictures once in a while, none will be pictured in this post at all, and I also found out that my camera's LCD was bright enough to lead the way while I wasn't shooting any pictures. We ended the night at the Kotel (Western Wall), and then headed back to the Yeshiva and dorms for the night.

Up bright and early again the next morning, I think I should take the time to mention that my schedule is 7:15 am to 10 pm Sundays to Thursdays, we started our regular classes. The fact that I'm in a special program has its benefits. Even though I'm tired as hell some days, I find the program to be just the speed I need, and with plenty of trips and optional Ulpan (Hebrew classes), I'm having a great time here. More to come on my learning as time goes on.

This past week we went to the Nautical and Regional Centre to go learn about Techailet (the blue dye that's supposed to go on the Tzitzit). We also went to the Mediterranean to go find the actual snails from which the dye is produced. Quite a salty snorkelling experience.

My classes continue on as normal, and I'm still having a great time, although the food isn't necessarily the best. The people are great, that includes the Rabbis, the classes are fun and involving, and I even had a room to myself for a week, that was pretty sweet.

There's more to come, especially since I'm off on another Tiyul tomorrow.

That's all for now,


Snoopy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

___________________________________________________
<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
Copyright 2005-2011 - All Rights Reserved